Butternut Squash and Apple Soup
1 large butternut squash
2 tablespoons butter
1 small onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
2 small granny smith apples, peeled, finely sliced and diced
2 to 3 cloves garlic, minced
3 cups chicken stock
1 cup cream (alternatively, omit or substitute stock)
Dash salt and pepper, to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 350F. Slice squash in half. Bake, covered or face down, until soft.
2. In pot, melt butter. Add onion, cook until tender. Add garlic & apples, saute for a minute, turn off heat, cover for 10 minutes.
3. Add squash. Turn to low and add stock. Simmer for 30 minutes.
4. Remove from heat and puree. Decant back to pot and heat gently.
5. Season to taste. Turn off heat.
6. Stir in fresh cream and pour into bowls. Top with chives and pepper.
Treehouse tip: Substitute olive oil or coconut oil for the butter, and omit cream for a dairy-free soup.